First vegan food post! Yay!
The desire to share my experience with vegan eating and cooking came about 4 months ago.
THEN I was like, ‘woah – I have way more I need to get off of my chest and put out into the universe.’ So I merged The Wkly Vegan with fm/gh and here we are!
I’m no chef or whatever, so almost anything I try is a recipe from somewhere else. I’ll let you know where it’s from and how you can access it, but will not always be able to post details as I do not own that sh*t…
Whew, okay, let’s go!
Tonight became pesto night for a few reasons:
- I’m Italian and have not had pasta in a month
- I didn’t know traditional pesto had non-vegan ingredients until I saw a vegan recipe for it during the 30-day detox/cleanse I just completed (woohoo!)
- I love basil
- It feels kind of fancy, but it’s actually really easy
- This is really quick and I was cranky and tired
- I’m moving to a different state in two months and need to use up as many ingredients in my pantry/freezer as possible
Here’s what I made:
- Easy Vegan Pesto from Minimalist Baker
- I chose this recipe because a) its ingredients I mostly had on hand and you probably will, too and b) this woman is legit and I knew it would taste great.
- If you want to see beautiful images of this pesto, in prep and completion, please click that link. I’m not that fancy, y’all.
- Whole wheat penne pasta
- This was a “I need to get rid of some of this food” decision. I was gluten-free during my detox/cleanse and would like to continue that in 90% of my diet, but I’ve got some dry pasta to use up before leaving. Waste not, want not.
- Beyond Chicken Lightly Seasoned Strips from Beyond Meat
- I first heard of this company from a GREAT podcast, How I Built This, hosted by Guy Raz. They are featured in a special live episode from February 16, 2017
- This product does contain soy, which was a no-no during detox/cleanse, but easy way to add protein and use up something in the freezer.
Making the Pesto
- Plopped all of the ingredients (heavier on the water and olive oil since it would be the sauce, as recommended by Minimalist Baker) into my blender. Yup – the same blender I (and probably your mom) use for margaritas, protein shakes and smoothies. I don’t have a food processor and I already told you guys I wasn’t fancy…It worked just fine.
- WHAT A COLOR – I expected it to be much darker. I’m not sure why. It looks like melted pistachio ice cream (totally into that by the way, one of my fave ice cream flavors)
- YUMMM. I blended for maybe 30 seconds? Easy. Delicious.
Cooking the Pasta
- I cooked the pasta. I drained it into a colander so I could use the same pot for the “chicken” #efficient
- HIGHLY recommend making zucchini noodles or other alt pasta for a healthier dish
Cooking the “Chicken”
- Returned the pasta pot to the stove, splashed some EVOO into the pot and dumped in the remainder of my Beyond Meat Chicken Strips. Stirred around for a few minutes basically just until heated through and I could pretend I was doing any cooking at all.
- use zucchini noodles or other base for a healthier meal
- add all of the veggies in your freezer/fridge! I need to do some grocery shopping, so this meal was a bit low as far as nutritional value goes
- I have a ton of this pesto left over and will probably be putting it on EVERYTHING for the next few days. Over a fried egg, as a salad dressing, on pasta and zucchini noodles, etc, etc.